About: Blank is a type of adware that takes over your computer by controlling the internet browser and the settings of your internet connection. Even though it may not be directly harmful to your computer, it can allow for other malware’s to cause damage by creating flaws to your system. Some of the effects of a computer infected with about: blank are; being redirected to other websites (such as pornography and gambling), constant pop-ups appearing with similar content to what you usually browse, the slowing down drastically of your system, and users private data being collected. When operating one or a few programs and it is noted that the processor seems to be working constantly and upon checking the CPU is working at 75-80% that is a clear indicator of being infected with an adware such as about: blank.
Also check if your internet browser has an about: blank homepage is an indicator of the virus interfering with your settings. Various system scans claim to be able to remove this adware; however, their dependability can be a cause for concern as they can be unreliable and ineffective. This type of adware uses different types of techniques to prevent detection and also to ensure a high level of difficulty to remove. It is possible to try and remove the about: blank on your own by using a manual technique.
Ways to get overcome of about: blank
- The adware sometimes appears in the add/remove software option in Control Panel, if so then click remove; however, this is very unlikely. Another method is to do a system restore to a date prior to the computer being infected; however this may not work as about: blank has the ability to attach itself to restore files. Below is a detailed explanation of how to remove about: blank adware manually:
- Locate the following file in the system registry:
- In that registry locate the key labeled “AppInit_DLLs, the value in this key is the hidden dll file causing issues.
- Write down the name of the file.
- Use Windows Recovery Console in Windows XP to rename the file.
- Restart Computer in Recovery Console mode using the CD received with your operating system; however, if CD is not available then the following steps should be followed.
- Type “cd windowssystem32″ and then press enter.
- Type “ATTRIB-R hidden.dll” in order to remove the read-only characteristic, and allow access to the file. Change hidden.dll to the file name found in step 1.
- Now you can will be able to rename hidden.dll with the name of the badfile.dll file by typing “RENAME hidden.dll badfile.dll”
- .Type Exit and press enter.
- The system will restart and should operate normally.
Tips and Warnings
- The manual method is one of the more difficult methods and will not work if not followed directly and may do your system more harm than good. An effective and reliable anti-virus scan can remove the adware and protect your system from becoming infected.
Charlie is a freelance writer and content builder of many technology sites and currently he is working on topic – How to get rid of About Blank